Westbrook
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westbrook

Where Agon looks like a cookie

HomeCommunity NewsGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» The last word
A corpse... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:04 am by Auldrick

» Happy b-day Pilus!
A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm by Indar

» Playing DF?
A corpse... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 1:54 am by Jerome Dagren Dascombe

» Darkfall unfriendlyness
A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm by Jerome Dagren Dascombe

» A rare oppertunity
A corpse... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:37 pm by gamon diealot (cookiebal)

» Civil leader candidates
A corpse... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 am by gamon diealot (cookiebal)

» COUNTRY MUSIC!!!
A corpse... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:23 pm by Jerome Dagren Dascombe

» So yeah... Read it.
A corpse... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 am by gamon diealot (cookiebal)

» Military leader candidates
A corpse... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:56 pm by Jerome Dagren Dascombe

Gallery
A corpse... Empty
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

A corpse...

Go down 
+4
Rodger Dascombe
Indar
Pilus
Jerome Dagren Dascombe
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerome Dagren Dascombe
Chief
Jerome Dagren Dascombe

Number of posts : 406
Race : Human
Registration date : 2009-01-03

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

You see a corpse in the archery range. His body is filled with arrows. He obviously didn't watch out.
Back to top Go down
http://westbrook.omgforum.net
Pilus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-15

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:18 pm

*Pilus stands in the other end of the archery range*

Oh damn. Note to self: A little angle can increase the range a lot.

(That happened to me real life :S I learned a lession about how far a arrow can fly. Luckly I dident hit anyone.)
Back to top Go down
Jerome Dagren Dascombe
Chief
Jerome Dagren Dascombe

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:53 pm

I don't think I should be an archer IRL, when I tried at gym I was either shooting my feet or they were far out. So I guess I'd be good against midgets and far-away lands.
Back to top Go down
Indar
Westbrook Member
Indar

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2009-01-13

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:03 pm

*aims at Dagren and releases the arrow, which causes a slight scratch in Dagrens ear*

I actually love to use Bow and Arrow in RL, something I am pretty good at even 0.o

But in darkfall... it will be magic for me Razz

And omfg I love that icon! Razz Razz Razz it looks so arrogant and bitchy... like: El nostras sombrero Charlie! ha ha ha

Last edited by indar on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rodger Dascombe
Westbrook Member
Rodger Dascombe

Number of posts : 68
Race : Human (Vaguely)
Registration date : 2009-01-13

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:08 pm

Pilus wrote:
(That happened to me real life :S I learned a lession about how far a arrow can fly. Luckly I dident hit anyone.)

I accidently fired an arrow through one of the target boards once, it narrowly missed the closed window behind it :S
Back to top Go down
Archibald Diedrick
Westbrook Member
Archibald Diedrick

Number of posts : 202
Race : Pansy human
Registration date : 2009-01-14

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 6:09 pm

oj do
Back to top Go down
gamon diealot (cookiebal)
Westbrook Member

Number of posts : 472
Race : human
Registration date : 2009-01-11

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm

i once got 2 bullseyes after eachother Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Warlord Dorgain Ironfist

Warlord Dorgain Ironfist

Number of posts : 72
Race : IC = Dwarf. OOC = Viking.
Registration date : 2009-01-18

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:58 pm

I'm a LARP-er, and use a bow a lot, for I am skilled with that. (Other say.)

But, Encirclement would be daft in my opinion, only with the archers on the horses (which isn't possible?) This would take effect.
You first need to surround the enemy (takes ages), and try to -not- hit the others. Anyhow, on Horses it's perfect, for this tactic was used in the earlier days. On foot?.. I'd doubt it.

Archery is for support, a great support, but support nontheless.
I'd say that the archers would make perfect scouts, under Rodgers command (Right?).

Now, the perfect tactic is, the dwarves with shield in a row, and archers assisting them, while heavy-wielding people charge at the enemy from the side/rear. Ofcourse, the archers need to find other targets, for they might hit those of us. The archers are to stand as Rodger said, the two rows of archers.
But.
There is another way, which was used in ancient times. You don't need to have two rows, ten would be fine aswell. You might think, they can't see the enemy? Well, indeed. Thus, training and discipline is required.
The archers learned which angle to point their bows in order to land their arrow on a white sheet (the common target, representing a group of enemy troops) at different ranges, a practice called "cloth shooting". In addition to individual practice, they also drilled with their units. In their formation, only the men in the first few ranks could even see the enemy. The Master of the Archers would keep his eye on the enemy and judge how many yards distant the foe was. When ordered to fire, the Master of the Archers would estimate the range to the enemy and then bellow out "ready," quickly followed by his range estimate, to the Sergeants, who would turn and bellow it to their archers (especially the most experienced ones, placed in the first rank to provide an accurate guide for the archers behind them). The Master of the Archers would then yell "loose," the Sergeants would echo the command, and thousands of arrows would fly skyward, most of them to land where, and when, the Master of the Archers wanted them.
But.
This won't work untill large numbers are forged.

Now, as for the support of defence.
Keeping all the archers on a same place, then make sure they have good infantry cover in front & cavalry on the flanks (to counter any clearly flanking sweep by enemy cavalry). Archers are quite potent, and devastating against cavalry. To a great extent defensively, they`re mince meat, that is historically accurate. Just make sure the Archers aren't charged, especially not by cavalry.
Back to top Go down
Jerome Dagren Dascombe
Chief
Jerome Dagren Dascombe

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 3:30 pm

I hope such a tactic will work in Darkfall too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Westbrook Member

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 pm

archers cant shoot from mounts but they can use mounts to get fast to a location they can easely shoot from Smile
Back to top Go down
King Lokk Ironheart
Westbrook Member
King Lokk Ironheart

Number of posts : 112
Race : Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-01-04

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

I agree with Dorgain. Unless well defended, archers shouldn't be used. Unless, of course, we are facing an infantry-only army.

Since encumberance is in, I am presuming that heavy-plate troops, such as what the Duchy and similar "civilized" armies will be using will have slower movement speeds than our lightly-clad archers. To that extent, we can begin battles with the archers in front of our infantry line. Then, just before engagement, archers can retreat into the back behind our front warriors (heavy infantry) and change gear to form a light-infantry reserve.
Back to top Go down
Warlord Dorgain Ironfist

Warlord Dorgain Ironfist

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Aye...

And, we got two groups of 'archers', right?

Rodger is leading the Humans, if I'm correct?.. They'll be scouts, the ones who stealth and deal suppressing fire, forcing the enemy army to charge at the (dwarven) shield rank.
And, the other one are the dwarven crossbowers?.. I got two people for that, not sure if others will do... But, those rangers are better to be used in melee aswell, for they remain dwarves. Thus, switch crossbow to some good weapons.

Anyhow, i'd like to make some IC-announcements once we started, and get some few things organized. (Yes, I got a whole sheet full 'o stuff.)

And, Lokk... Archers are -perfect- skirmishers, if we got a small compagny (max of 6) of rangers (leather armored, thus fast movement) under leading of Rodger.. They could perform small scouting and taunting forces, for holding the ranks is, and -will-, prove vital.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook Member

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 pm

btw we must also get a navy since we are on an island and the ship with troops is the first attack and if we can sink it its a big blow against the enemy
Back to top Go down
King Lokk Ironheart
Westbrook Member
King Lokk Ironheart

Number of posts : 112
Race : Dwarf
Registration date : 2009-01-04

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 pm

I agree with that, Dorgain. Archers are the perfect skirmishers unless they're facing something that can move faster than them (i.e. Cavalry), in which case, they're dead skirmishers.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook Member

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:26 pm

archers can be good on ships too (incase they are more effective then cannons , we are out of cannons, all cannon spots are full)

also in for example a fight in a castle were the enemy just breached the door (so we had a few seconds to prepare a formation) archers could hide behind heavy mellee and shoot on the enemys.

with a bit of training archers can be good.
Back to top Go down
Warlord Dorgain Ironfist

Warlord Dorgain Ironfist

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I assume Lokk will agree with me again. ^^

For the reason of caverly over-running the skirmishers, the skirmishers are on rough terrain, which will grant cover, hiding spots and slowing the advance of riders. Skirmishers aren't on the open field, or they will be run down easily.

Archers on ships?.. It might work well on Darkfall, but I'm not sure... I think we'd do better with speed over gunpowder, for there are going to be tuns of Pirates, who will reinforce their ships. We aren't a match for them. Thus, we choose speed over weaponry. Less people, less weight, more speed.
Back to top Go down
Jerome Dagren Dascombe
Chief
Jerome Dagren Dascombe

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Or we pirate back at them Wink
Back to top Go down
Westbrook Member

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:29 pm

if we are a nation on an island we should be able to match pirates on the sea.

if anything we can be sure of in an attack its that the enemy comes with a boat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A corpse... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A corpse...   A corpse... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A corpse...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Westbrook :: Westbrook :: Archery Range-
Jump to: